“Move-in Ready”… “Turn-Key Condition”… This is what a home Seller and their REALTOR® want to “hear” from potential Buyers when they first list their home for sale. A home in which no project needs to be completed.
You want to begin to impress the potential Buyer from the “Outside – In”… in other words it starts with curb-appeal. Having your home attractive from the outside will not only entice the home Buyer, searching on the internet, to want to see more, you are also captivating those who are walking or driving by your property.
Below is a list of 10 projects that can and WILL serve to impress any potential home Buyer and their REALTOR®…
1. The Exterior Shell: A new coat of paint, or replacing the vinyl siding may be needed. Make sure you choose a neutral color that will appeal to the majority of home buyers. To add a little jazz, you could add a splash of color by re-painting your door.
2. Windows: By replacing your windows with the new energy efficient models you are remaining competitive with the “new home” market.
3. Landscape: Get out there and trim your hedges, maybe you need to hire an arborist for your trees. If you have a perennial garden, replace the old mulch with new mulch. Draw attention to your home at night by adding garden lights.
4. Flooring: Your home’s floors need to be stylish and modern. The growing trend for at least the main floor of a home is hardwood or laminate. If your unsure of what type of flooring to choose visit a few Show homes for ideas.
5. The Kitchen: Always an important room in the home…you can give your kitchen a “face lift” by re-finishing or replacing the cupboards, replace the counter tops and plumbing fixtures and last but certainly not the least…replacing your appliances.
6. The Bathroom: New toilet, bathtub/shower and cabinetry can be a huge investment. If you stick with the smaller projects like re-caulking, replacing tile grout, repainting and new plumbing fixtures this can make your bathroom look brand new. Just pay attention to the little things such as, chipped sinks and tubs, make sure the ceiling fan is cleaned, and replace old or outdated lighting fixtures.
7. Lighting & Interior Paint: A well lit home can accent the best features of each room, however, if there are swag lamps still hanging it’s time for an update. Painting a couple accent walls in your home will give the “punch” you need to stay competitive with any new model home. Canned lighting can be used to highlight any décor and design element (such as your new accent walls) that may have normally been missed.
8. Roof & Foundation: In order to receive top dollar for your home and to avoid a failed inspection report, now is the time to get these areas of your home in order. A financial lender wants to see that the roof has another 2-3 years left and that the foundation is sound.
9. Deep Clean: Nothing you have done to improve your home will matter if your home is not clean. This means a THOROUGH clean, a “get dirty” to “get clean” kind of scrub, and yes, that means pull out the stove & refrigerator and clean those window sills.
10. HOME STAGING: Home Staging is about “enhancing what’s already there”. We want to allow the Buyer to envision their new life in your home. Using this tool is a great cost-effective way to prepare your home for the market. Every home going on the market these days should consider the options of a home stager.